Fixed Plant Machine and Fabrication Shop Advisor
Barrick is looking for a Mechanical Shop Advisor to join the Fixed Plant Maintenance team. This role will develop and mentor the national workforce in the machine and fabrication shop areas by increasing their knowledge and skills, with a hands-on approach. Ensuring production of high-quality products while maintaining a safe, efficient, and effective continuous improvement culture for shop personnel.
This individual will have a thorough understanding of all aspects of industrial fabrication and machining.
- Promote a safe, efficient, and effective work culture focused on continuous improvement and achievement of set departmental KPI’s.
- Work closely with the Superintendent in ensuring the safety and environmental compliance of the team. Conduct and record regular audits.
- Set up and shops as a sustainable business by implementing systems, methods, materials, tools and parts so that turnaround time and costs are minimised while performing high quality work.
- Work closely with planning, and engineering to ensure that necessary rotable spares are overhauled according to schedule and that the work is of high quality.
- Contribute to skills development by actively imparting knowledge to, and providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and assessing of, Dominican Nationals. Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Training Packages for specific equipment in the Shop Advisor area
- Provide regular feedback to the Superintendent, General Supervisor and/or Supervisor regarding ‘on the job’ skills development activities and results to ensure the succession of the National workforce.
- Work closely with the General Supervisor and/or Supervisor evaluating shop performance to identify and initiate improvement opportunities.
- Assist staff with conducting performance reviews and providing feedback and coaching.
- Identify training opportunities that provide depth and versatility for all new and advancing maintenance employees.
- In conjunction with the Training department/ Training Coordinator, assess employee’s skill levels using accredited assessment tools, and provide reports / results to address development opportunities.
- Ensure that the required parts and materials are ordered and that sufficient stocks are available when needed.
- Ensure that all statutory inspection of equipment is carried out and recorded.
- Manage tool stores so that all tools are properly and neatly stored and maintained in good working order.
- Introduce, develop and assist in new techniques, continuous improvement projects and business justifications as required.
- Implement a system to ensure shop and yard spaces are clean and well organized.
- Completion of a Professional program in Mechanical area. Or related Trade Certificate related to Heavy Fixed Plant Equipment Maintenance
- Technical Background / Trade certificate.
- Experience in the maintenance of ore processing equipment such as crushers, conveyors, mills, pumps and large drives.
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a maintenance role; 5 years of which should be in Senior Supervisory capacity.
- This individual will have a thorough understanding of all aspects of industrial fabrication and machining.
- Worked in mining or heavy industry.
- Assessor and Leadership qualifications would be highly regarded.
- Being able to speak, read, and write in Spanish as a second language is highly desired.
- Supervisor technicians, Trainees and Assistants requirements.
- Strong Leadership capabilities, acting with integrity and excellence.
- Strong user of maintenance management systems and overall MS Office is an advantage.
- Proven track of records managing workshops.
- Demonstrated ability in the relevant area of expertise (Welding, Fabric Shop, etc.) and leading improvement projects with a cross functional team
- Proven technical skills fault finding and repairing complex systems typically found in process plants or mobile equipment.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, is self-motivated, leads by example and is innovative
What we can Offer You?
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses benefits, and stock purchase plans where applicable
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- An Opportunity to transform Traditional Mining into the future of Digital Mining
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across Barrick locations
- Barrick is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Barrick is the gold industry leader with a vision of wealth generation through responsible mining; wealth for our owners, our people, and the countries and communities with which we partner. Our objective is to maintain and grow industry-leading margins, driven by innovation and our digital transformation; managing our portfolio and allocating capital with discipline and rigor; and leveraging our distinctive partnership culture as a competitive advantage. We aim to cultivate a high-performance culture defined by the following principles: a deep commitment to partnership, consistent execution, operational excellence, disciplined capital allocation, and continual self-improvement. We are obsessed with talent and seek out fresh perspectives and challenging ourselves to think differently as we transform Barrick into a leading 21st century company.
At Barrick Pueblo Viejo women's support in our processes is highly valuated, APPLY!
Barrick Pueblo Viejo provides and guarantees equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination, harassment and acts of violence of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic, condition or status protected by Dominican laws.