Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Engage departmental managers to define and build value driver trees and department specific key performance indicators (KPIs) in support of business goals.
- Engage key role-players in other First Quantum operations to gather and duplicate value-adding strategies and practices at Cobre Panama.
- Create and lead interdisciplinary and inter-departmental teams to deliver on strategic improvement projects.
- Draft, review and approve opportunity definitions, technical reports, memorandums, project charters and project evaluations, and any other documentation as part of the normal project life cycle.
- Draft, review and present approvals for capital expenditures (AFCEs) as and when required in support of long-term strategic improvements.
- Perform and oversee data analysis to identify opportunities for improvement along the value chain and across different operating sites.
- Produce interactive, value adding reports and data visualizations for management using Power BI.
- Lead and support projects to validate, relate and analyze fragmented datasets.
- Adopt and demonstrate the benefits of higher order analytical techniques (including advanced analytics, machine learning, etc.).
- Identify and engage junior and local talent within departments for involvement in improvement projects and inclusion in formal training programs.
- Provide formal and informal training, coaching and mentoring to junior employees who are responsible for delivering on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Conduct frequent training sessions and workshops on lean philosophy and six-sigma methodology.
- Develop, implement and maintain a solution for the gathering, analyzing and storing improvement ideas from across the site from all levels of the organization.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum bachelors engineering degree preferably in the area of mining, metallurgical, process or mechanical engineering.
- Qualification as a six sigma black belt or lean practitioner considered highly advantageous.
- Relevant post-graduate qualifications considered beneficial.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant industry experience and a minimum of 2 years is in a continuous improvement or related role.
- Excellent cognitive and analytical ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to teach and mentor junior employees in both formal and informal settings.
- Strong working knowledge of continuous improvement philosophies and methodologies.
- Excellent facilitation, project management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and lead a multicultural multidisciplinary team of individuals.
- Sound technical understanding of open pit mining, comminution and flotation operations.
- Working knowledge of industry typical control systems (fleet management and distributed control systems) and data storage and retrieval (SQL and OSIsoft).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, PI AF, PI Integrator and Power BI.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required. Commitment to undertake language training to achieve competency.
- Personal commitment to safe and environmentally sounds practices.
- Ability to build strong strategic working relationships.
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality by maintaining high working standards.