We are currently seeking an Occupational Health Coordinator to lead our OH team and will be responsible of the medical surveillance programme from a MPSA perspective.
As outlined under the headings that follow:
- Management and support
- Program development and implementation
- Training and mentoring
- Liaison and communication
- Assist with clinical services coverage
Management and Support
Manage the medical service provider who is contracted to support the medical surveillance programme
- Report on the occupational health and medical surveillance programme to management.
- Plan and manage campaigns specific to the occupational health and medical surveillance programme. This can include wellness efforts, support with fatigue management, etc.
- Support with approvals of fitness to work, workplace restrictions, return to work, compensation and incapacity management.
- Develop codes of practice to guide local occupational health and medical surveillance programme management.
- Support links with the clinical services and occupational health unit on sickness absence, workplace restrictions, chronic disease management etc.
- As required find, contract and develop systems with external service providers (e.g. laboratory, radiology etc.).
Programme development and implementation
- Support the development of the occupational health and medical surveillance programme.
- Support the reviews of occupational risk exposure profiles and/or man job specifications.
- Develop a medical monitoring matrix for the risk based medical surveillance programme and implement it. This will be based on risk assessments and data from the industrial hygiene department
- Work closely with the occupational hygiene department on exposure profiles and risk based medical surveillance and fitness to work criteria.
- Support the scheduling of medical surveillance with HR and the medical service provider.
- Support the development of standard operating procedures and work instructions, forms/checklists etc. for the functioning of the occupational health unit.
- Support the commissioning of the occupational unit and equipment.
- Support quality assurance processes in the occupational health unit including equipment checks, calibration and preventative maintenance schedules etc. Manage process and actions of the medical service provider.
- Ensure medical records management is appropriate with best practice.
- Ensure effective recording of activities in the occupational health unit.
Training and mentoring
Support on the job training for staff employed in the occupational health unit to include; i) general administration and medical records management; ii) scheduling and communication with departments; iii) process flows in the occupational health unit; iv) technical aspects of medical surveillance (vision screening, spirometry and audiometry; v) correct manner to complete forms; vi) decision making on fitness to work; vii) return to work or workplace capacity management; and viii) communication with workers and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Support of industrial hygiene staff and the interaction with the occupational health unit and risk based medical surveillance programme.
- Capacity building in the medical service provider.