At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting to the Mine Optimization Superintendent, the Mine Controller is responsible for overseeing the use, management, and control of the mine Fleet Management System to ensure that all mining fleet is used safely and efficiently to achieve mining plans. Is also responsible for communicating, guiding and recording production, ore control, loading time, cycle time, delays, down codes, and any variances within the Mine Department
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- University Degree in Mining Engineering, Geology or System engineering
- 3 - 5 years of experience working in Mining Dispatcher role using a Fleet Management System (Minestar, Modular, Wenco, Jigsaw, etc.). Minestar “desirable”
- Additional certifications or licenses appropriate to the job may be required.
- Ability to resolve day-to-day challenges regarding equipment, materials, methods and procedures needed to compliance the mining plans.
- Extensive knowledge of mining and processing operations.
- Strong leadership, management, communication, planning, problem-solving, decision-making, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Software to reporting as Power BI/Business Objects and other programs utilized for tracking purposes.
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Valid driver’s license.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of the mine dispatch team in a cost-efficient manner ensuring awareness of performance targets.
- Supervise the crews to ensure that the mine dispatch team supports the planning and scheduling of mine production activities, to ensure the execution against the daily, weekly and monthly program
- Acting as a technical reference point and mentor for the dispatcher to ensure work outputs are in line with mining plans
- Drive development and implementation of best practices for the team to improve site productivity.
- Coordinate with different stakeholders, to ensure people and equipment achieve optimal production following the mine plan.
- Provide informed feedback/opinions, improvement opportunities, and risk areas to management.
- Capture, validate and record mine site data through the Fleet Management System (FMS).
- Ensure the site's Fleet Management System is properly configured and that data entries are accurate.
- Ensure the relevant information from the FMS is communicated and reported in a relevant and timely manner to the relevant stakeholders.
- Ensuring personnel, equipment and work areas comply with all safety policies and regulations by providing required training, tools and monitoring.
- Foster a positive and productive working relationship between team members and with other departments.
- Fluency in Spanish is required and competency in English highly regarded.
- Provide a high degree of technical support in the following areas:
- Lead and assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of relevant mining and dispatch procedures, processes and technology to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the assets.
- Continual improvement of the FMS and supporting systems in the mining environment by providing reliable and accurate maintenance knowledge, expertise and practical application, to minimise downtime and subsequent loss of production.
- Develop standard operating procedures and perform gap analysis to highlight areas of improvement
- Maximise the return on assets through effective utilisation of the FMS systems.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to analyse data, identify issues and help to propose solutions.
- Perform other related duties as required
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.