At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting into the Superintendent Management Accounting, the Management Accounting will provide strong accounting support in the control and management of costs for the Direct and Indirect support departments for the site.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance
- Chartered Professional Accounting Program (CPA)
- Minimum 5 years’ management accounting experience or similar
- Experience in budget and forecast preparation
- Experience in month End preparation and reporting
- Experience with JDEdwards and Hyperion software will be highly regarded.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent financial modelling skills.
- Strength in planning and organisation.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a sometimes stressful environment.
- Computer fluency is a must.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English/Spanish is required.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
- Ensure work is executed in compliance with H&S, quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Responsible for the monitoring and control of costs within various department.
- Collate and load Budgetes and forecasts into Hyperion Planning Tool
- Liaise and develop strong, positive working relationships, with all the departmental Superintendents and Managers in Cobre Panama including participation in regular area cost reviews to control, report and reduce operational cost.
- Participate in the preparation of budget analysis reports including variance analysis and identification of key cost drivers.
- Cost allocations.
- Commit to the continuous improvement in management reporting and accounting methods to improve existing procedures.
- Control, report and reduce operational costs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based off-site with frequent travel to the mine site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.