At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
The TMF Technical Services Project Control Specialist is responsible for leading the planning of TMF construction, and any TMF governance related activities and projects. The Project Control Specialist must coordinate with a variety of different areas to ensure that all aspects of the plan and projects are completed in a timely and efficient manner and work closely with estimators, engineers, surveyors, drafters and specialists to keep projects on track and manage conflicting priorities.
Responsible for managing and reporting over short, medium and long term planning. This includes overseeing the scheduling of resources and materials, ensuring that deadlines are met, resolving any issues that arise during the course of construction, and more.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Mining Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or similar
- Minimum 5 years’ leadership experience
- Minimum 10 years planning engineering experience
- Experience with civil construction projects
- Experience with planning control including project estimating, forecasting and planning management including reporting
- Comprehensive experience in managing teams and building systems and processes.
- High level of attention to detail including comprehensive experience in interpreting numerical models.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and deliver significant safety improvements and high value projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, Microsoft Project and Power BI is required
- Experience with Autodesk Autocad / CIVIL 3D is well regarded
- Comprehensive understanding of industry guidelines for Tailings considerations is well regarded
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Lead the Planning team
- Develop long, medium and short term plans for TMF construction and governance activities
- Review project documents, including design sets, to determine project milestones and sequencing and validate that the construction schedules comply with the project documents.
- Based on design reviews, identifies any out of scope changes and documents quantity variances based on material take offs (MTOs) from design documents.
- Assess the cost and schedule impacts of design or construction changes and associated cost growth and/or schedule slippages. Evaluates proposed process improvements, requests for information (RFIs), and differing site conditions for impacts to the project in terms of cost and/or schedule.
- Provide project controls support to Engineering and Construction in cost and schedule analysis, reporting, and general project controls support as directed by the TMF Technical Services Superintendent
- Assist in processing of project change notices, maintain change logs as required and report on changes
- Validate the reported progress percentage based on the rules established within the project and with the contractors through spot checks of the design documents and/or construction progress.
- Review contractor schedules for accuracy and alignment with the overall master schedule.
- Identify and resolve project control issues through various methods and provided proposed solutions to address problems.
- Analyze, evaluate, and forecast status against an established baseline schedule on complex scopes of work.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to validate project estimates, change orders and scope changes through the review of design drawings, sketches, calculations or other information supplied by the engineering or construction areas.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or other data to assist in project planning.
- Review and audit contractor equipment logs, time sheets, supplier invoices and contracts to check that equipment and personnel are being utilized as specified.
- Develop risk management plan with risk management strategies, issues registers, opportunities identification and review of outcomes protocols.
- Research and identify specific legislation and best practices relevant to tailings storage facility design, construction and ongoing management
- Consolidate findings from construction/tailings management requirements, and research and use to inform planning and design considerations
- Develop information generation, distribution and communication plan with structured review of outcomes
- Identify and control work health and safety (WHS) hazards and identify risks to the environment
- Employ continuous improvement approach with flexibility to adapt to improved procedures and practices.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.