At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting to the Transport Superintendent, the External Transport Coordinator is responsible for developing, monitoring, coordinating, and implementing the company-wide external bus schedule for optimum service and efficiency. The position has lead responsibilities over the external transit service Operators and external Bus Drivers.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Tertiary education in Business Administration and Logistics.
- 5 years’ experience in similar roles.
- Proficiency in Communication.
- Customer service standards.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders involved.
- English proficiency (intermediate to advance level).
- Panamanian driver’s license desirable.
- Risk analysis knowledge and compliance with all safety standards of mobile equipment.
- Demonstrated strength in complex problem solving and judgement.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Lead and manage the contractor to provide a service that meets the Company needs in every aspect
- Establishes standards of operation for which the contractor will be accountable both within their workplace, workshop, on the road and on site
- Reviews and revises external transportation schedules to ensure increased efficiency and to reduce costs.
- Conducts inspections and audits to the workshops and the units.
- Assesses training needs, and schedules for appropriate action.
- Leads, directs, guides, and monitors the work of external transport service operators, buses, and relief drivers.
- Carry out fatigue monitoring of drivers who perform external transport service and ensure that it is in compliance with Minera Panama standards.
- Responsible of the GPS monitoring of the units that carry out external transport, reporting to the superintendence all deviations or violations of the speed limits established on the route.
- Responds to requests for assistance by troubleshooting and providing solutions to driver-related problems.
- Capacity to analyze complex data, detect opportunities for improvement, and implement strategies to optimize the operation.
- Management of various information systems, including global positioning systems.
- Resolves operational problems related to external bus movements.
- Investigates situations and complaints, and recommends solutions.
- Assists in the planning, research, development, and implementation of department policies and procedures.
- Coordinates special projects to accomplish department objectives and other tasks requested by the department manager.
- Collects analyzes, and reports statistical data regarding the operation of the department; makes planning recommendations based upon statistical reporting.
- Maintains current knowledge of national guidelines, ESIA commitments related to transport, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Responsible of all safety audits.
- Management and supervision of his/her personnel in charge, this involves, but is not limited to the following: probationary period, succession plans, payroll, disciplinary actions, etc.
- Willingness to be in charge of relieving his counterpart, the Internal Transportation Coordinator, and all his responsibilities in his absence, if necessary. This point is mandatory.
- Being responsible in the absence of his counterpart, the Internal Transport Coordinator and the Transport Superintendent, if necessary.
- Willingness to undertake related responsibilities, ensuring business improvement.
- Comply with any other duties as required by direct supervisor.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.