At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
As directed carry out the installation and maintenance both preventative and breakdown to mechanical plant and equipment in accordance to drawings and specifications and in line with safe practice.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
· Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
· Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
· Ensure work is undertaken in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
· Execute daily corrective actions as directed.
· Ensure housekeeping is executed in all designated work areas.
· Provide input for the creation and implementing SOP’s.
· Follow relevant SOPs for work conducted.
· Carry out scheduled planned installation and maintenance work on mechanical equipment in compliance with company procedures in order to minimize project delays.
· Carry out the installations, refurbishment and commissioning of mechanical plant to specification and on time.
· Read and interpret engineering drawings of various plant to ensure correct tolerance and fits are maintained for efficient plant operation.
· Inspect, repair, install and test mechanical equipment in order to ensure that relevant specifications/requirements are met.
· Carry out an assessment of spares and materials required to complete work effectively, where necessary ordering additional items via the Supervisor.
· Perform general mechanical duties after applicable training and assessment of competency, including but not limited to: scaffold erection; rigging; machining of less complex mechanical parts; and operation of hoists, man lifts, cranes, fork lifts and light vehicles.
· Undertake nominated training activities to maintain and up-skill required competencies.
· Control, report and reduce operational costs, and ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions.
· Implement FQM Way culture in the Control Room team - "Bolder, Smarter, Driven, Together."
· Perform any other duties as assigned by Maintenance Supervisor.
· A qualification from Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá or equivalent preferred.
· JTA Certification as a Mechanic Technician or Engineer.
· Driving license
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
· At least 5 years of proven experience in a heavy industry environment.
Fluency in Spanish is required and proficiency in English highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.
· Technical professional knowledge and Skills.
· High work standards
· Team success
· Strength in cultural adaptability
Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential or FIFO with a strong preference for the incumbent to be residential.
Safety and Environment
· Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
· Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
· Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
· Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
· Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.