At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting into the Field Maintenance Coordinator, the Drills Technical Adviser is responsible for supervising and training the team on the mechanical and electrical maintenance related activities including, but not limited to assembling, disassembling, troubleshooting, installing, repairing, modifying and maintaining mechanical, electrical/electronic drilling machines to manufacturer and/or company specifications.
The Technical Adviser will provide specialist technical leadership while creating a strong quality driven integrity, and guaranteeing fully compliance with regulations and best engineering and maintenance practices. The successful incumbent will be required to work hands on, and will transfer their knowledge through practical trainings by monitoring the execution of Drill fleet planned replacement programs in field and workshop in order to ensure compliance with the actions and quality control to ensure maintenance best practice of the asset.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering degree or industry certifications.
- 7 + years related experience in the mining environment are highly regarded
- 4 years’ experience of leading a team.
- Experience in the diagnostic and repair of any of the following equipment highly regarded: Epiroc, Caterpillar, Liebherr; Komatsu and other heavy duty mining equipment.
- Proven ability to identify, analyse and understand equipment requirements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong understanding and capability in relation to positive safety culture, practical application of risk assessment, hazard identification/controls, and incident management/reporting.
- A proven ability to coach and mentor team members
- Sound knowledge of supervision, asset care, optimization and hazard control.
- Language – Confidence in both English and Spanish will be advantageous.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- To oversee the quality execution of the weekly plan for the maintenance activities of the Drills by providing advice to Supervisors, foreman and the maintenance crews.
- Provide in depth guidance related to departmental maintenance requirements.
- Ensure that your section works to a weekly plan, provide coaching and mentoring for Drill crew foreman.
- Provide team with leadership, information and technical direction required to ensure that maintenance is undertaken in a time efficient manner ensuring equipment reliability and availability.
- Ensure inspections are being carried out to the highest quality.
- Ensure that all planned maintenance activities are properly executed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Participate in the formulation of the maintenance plans.
- Assist in the development of safe working procedures SOP and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Assist Supervisors and Foreman with routine workplace inspections.
- Transfer knowledge by coaching and mentoring while being hands-on using good engineering practices.
- Share technical knowledge with team to ensure tasks are executed in a safe and timely manner while being to the expected optimum quality.
- Use greater fault finding analytics to reduce reaction- and downtime.
- Ensure operational expectations are met through equipment availability.
- Support the development of technicians through formal and informal training.
- Ensure standardized work take place across the drills maintenance fields.
- Monitor and report on the performance of equipment to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of a solid working relationship with all employees.
- Plays a key role in providing the team with expert knowledge of maintenance practices through advanced process understanding.
- Assist in creating effective maintenance spares lists and stock level direction.
- Provides specialist technical support, and assist with creating a strong maintenance integrity within the organization.
- Guarantees safety aspects are fully compliant with regulations and best practices.
- Advise all discipline crafts on quality, schedule, and performance expectations.
- Advise on craft productivity and performance and/or reporting on equipment performance.
- To provide technical data and information as required.
- Oversee execution and review methodologies of PM’s and maintenance tasks and optimise.
- Ensures operational requirements and expectations are met through equipment availability.
- Provide data bundles for technical direction to complete tasks in a safe and timely manner, and to the level of quality expected.
- Play a key role in the QA and QC of the relevant areas.
- Confirming that reliability is in the forefront in every effort to increase redundancy, ease and cost of maintenance.
- Ensure standardized work procedures are in place across the drills maintenance department.
- Work closely with Planners and contribute to preventative maintenance and continuous improvement going forward.
- To provide any continuous improvement suggestions and to always operate in a cost-effective manner
- Perform any other related duties as assigned and required by the Coordinator and/or Superintendent.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.