At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting to the Superintendent, Financial Accounting this role will provide strong accounting support and be responsible for the preparation of accounting reports. The role will be involved in the day to day financial accounting functions of Cobre Panama, the incumbent will be required to ensure that tasks under her/his scope are carried out in accordance with Group policies and procedures as well as complying with all relevant statutory requirements.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Postgraduate qualifications desirable (eg. CPA, MBA)
- Excellent numeracy and attention to detail are essential
- Possess a minimum of 5 years relevant financial accounting experience
- Experience in a large public accounting practice is highly desirable
- High degree of computer literacy
- Experience with JD Edwards and Hyperion software (or other consolidating tools) will be highly regarded, but is not essential.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft application software.
- Experience in Power BI desirable
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, and be able to meet tight deadlines, without compromising on attention to detail.
- Ability to deliver results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
- Advanced English language skills – written and spoken
- Firm commitment to safe work practices
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Recording financial transactions and maintaining accounting records
- Providing timely, accurate and relevant information for end users
- Strong working relationships are developed with end users such that their information requirements are clearly understood and implemented.
- Participating in month-end accounting procedures, providing support in order to month-end close-off and reporting is achieved within Group close-off deadlines.
- Review that appropriate internal controls are implemented commensurate with the operating environment.
- Participation in the Preparation of statutory financial statements in accordance with appropriate accounting standards, legislation and corporate policies/procedures.
- Participation during the external and internal audit process.
- Reconciling financial discrepancies by analysing accounts.
- Performing, on demand, specific internal audit tasks within the company.
- Develop and maintain finance/accounting policies and procedures
- Looking for improvements in current processes
- Positively contribute, and adherence to the company’s Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Behavioral Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible and versatile and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
The role is characterized by long hours and early days in high volume and high-pressure environment. The incumbent will need to be able to provide safe, effective care in a manner that considers each individual’s need for comfort, privacy, and respect.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.