At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Reporting to the Supervisor Fabrication Workshop, the Fabricator Boilermaker is responsible to undertake heavy earth moving equipment liner replacement and welding repairs activities to the heavy earth moving equipment truck trays and shovel dippers in accordance to drawings and specifications in in a safe manner and in compliance with relevant procedure to achieve maximized availability of the equipment ensuring productivity targets are achieved and equipment downtime is minimal.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Work to standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis including inspection of all equipment ensuring that it is fit-for-purpose and safe
- Ensure work is undertaken in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Ensure housekeeping is executed in all designated work areas.
- Follow relevant SOPs for all work activities ensuring job execution is planned and controlled.
- Execute work activities from maintenance work schedules as directed.
- Read and interpret schematic drawings including but not limited to obtaining orientation from the drawing as well as compiling a materials list for work required.
- Carry out an assessment of spares and materials required to complete work effectively, where necessary ordering additional items via the Supervisor.
- Be an active contributor to the 'team' environment of maintenance personnel striving to consistently deliver and exceed expectations.
- Undertake nominated training activities to maintain and up-skill required competencies.
- Execute duties with the focus to reduce operational costs.
- Adopt the FQM Way culture– “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
- Act as deputy for colleagues as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Completion of secondary school.
- 6G welders certification.
- Driving license.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
- Ability to undertake the manual duties of the role.
- Capacity to work in confined spaces and/or work at heights.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- 2-3 years’ experience as a 6G welder in a heavy industry environment. With preference to heavy equipment earth moving machinery.
- Experience with use of all types of welding equipment Electrode, TIG, MIG and wire feeders, Plasma equipment, thermal lancing, carbon arc gouging.
- Fluent Spanish language skills preferred.
- Technical professional knowledge and Skills
- High work standards
- Team success.
Cobre Panama is a remote site and the position is offered as Residential BIBO.
Work hours and rosters may vary as required by the business.
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings,
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.