At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting into the Superintendent Flotation & Utilities, Flotation Coordinator is accountable for the management, safe operation and maintenance of the equipment in the flotation, machinery and processes in a world class operating plant. Coordinator is accountable to keep up with all KPI related to flotation area, such as safety, environmental compliance, and area availability, as well as look for continuous improvement through the area and developing high potential crew members.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and/or related Trade Certificate.
- 5+ years of experience in the maintenance operations of a flotation circuit and associated areas.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership/supervisory experience.
- Significant experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant.
- Proficient in the use of maintenance management systems.
- Excellent leadership, motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to identify, analyse and understand equipment requirements.
- Strong understanding of maintenance process improvement and control strategies.
- Sound knowledge of Supervision, asset care, optimization and hazard control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to provide clear and accurate operational directions to team.
- Knowledge of JD Edwards or other enterprise systems
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Ensure employees work in compliance with H&S (e.g., isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Create and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Provide input to shutdown planning in coordination with Planners so plant availability is maximized, and use of contractor resources minimized.
- Ensure the use of best practice maintenance techniques and procedures for the maintenance and optimum performance of the Flotation area.
- Manage and coordinate daily corrective actions through formal workplace inspections.
- Ensure that equipment maintenance plans are created and implemented.
- Ensure all preventive and predictive maintenance plans are in line with the needs of the operation, that activities are planned and scheduled via JD Edwards
- Oversee the execution of maintenance plans for the Flotation area making use of appropriate diagnostic techniques developed through your extensive knowledge of the process plant and equipment.
- Manage the database of maintenance activities of work performed.
- Report on maintenance activities and performance indicators.
- Systematically develop methods, materials, tools and parts so downtime is minimal.
- Ensure economical spares inventories are established and maintained to meet production requirements mindful of component wear and tear.
- Actively seek alternative suppliers to meet quality and cost targets.
- Provide technical and managerial support for the Flotation area maintenance personnel daily to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Manage budget for planned maintenance, equipment upgrades and plant parts inventory.
- Review plant design for bottlenecking and provide efficiency/operability improvements to meet production requirements.
- Evaluate the performance of the team to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all designated work areas.
- Ensure that shift manning requirements are met. Participate in the interviewing, hiring, training and development to retain and develop the best talent for the organization.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback and coaching to achieve business plans and production goals.
- Work with Human Resources and Flotation and Utilities superintendent to identify training opportunities that provide depth and versatility for all new and advancing maintenance employees. Assess training and development needs, develop plans and establish performance metrics to meet those needs, and provide on-going assessment tools to ensure desired results are achieved.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of a solid working relationship with all employees.
- Maintains current knowledge of equipment and materials through self-study and training.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Behavioral Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama.
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.