At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting into the Supervisor Mechanical, the Mechanical Specialist works closely with the shift maintenance supervisors and supports training and development training and development initiatives. The specialists facilitate knowledge transfer in safety and best practice maintenance principles as well as supervisory training.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering and/or related senior trade certificate.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Mechanical or related area
- 5 years’ supervisory experience in copper gold operations.
- Experience in large, complex base processing plants.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in Spanish is required and proficiency in English highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Perform all work in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Use best practise maintenance techniques and procedures for the repair and maintenance of process control equipment.
- Initiate and carry out daily corrective actions through formal workplace inspections.
- Execute equipment maintenance plans.
- Ensure that control system maintenance activities are carried out as planned in the computerized maintenance management system.
- Report on maintenance activities and performance indicators.
- Ensure that necessary materials and tools are available to keep downtime to a minimum.
- Provide technical support to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Monitor systems for bottlenecking and provide input to efficiency/operability improvements.
- Evaluate the performance of equipment to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all designated work areas.
- Promote a positive environment ensuring a continuation of a solid working relationship with the Workshop team.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Maintenance Foreman/ Supervisor.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things.
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.