At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
The Earthwork Coordinator manages daily site activities by ensuring earthworks projects are executed in accordance with safety, design and schedule. The Earthwork Coordinator directly supervises the Earthworks construction, which includes the earthworks crew, training, surveying, administration and Contractors to execute projects successfully where necessary. He or she is responsible for protecting and promoting the interests and values of the company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy responsibilities.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- A relevant qualification on Civil, Construction, Surveying or Project Management
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in operational roles related to construction, civil or earthworks
- Experience on the Earthworks Specialist Role is highly regarded
- Significant experience in a large, complex dam building.
- Fluency in Spanish is required and competency in English highly regarded.
- Strong leadership, motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability.
- Good cognitive and analytical skills to identify and report process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks.
- Good understanding of project management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Computer fluency is a must.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- The role has equipment and operations personnel accountability from the earthworks team, on the TMF Sand Dam Construction.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the Earthworks section ensuring a very high standard of housekeeping.
- Oversee the operations to consistently deliver and exceed the main KPIs of the earthworks team supported by the leadership staff of the section.
- Define and coordinate the strategy to apply and reach the KPI on the Monthly/Weekly/Daily Schedule.
- Analyse and process data from the report and other sources to deliver an accurate projection of the section to the others head of sections and department.
- Provide guidance to the Specialist on the business needs to ensure they can perform a conscious effort to collaborate to the company goals.
- Assist the Earthworks superintendent in any assignation given and ensure to cover the superintendent role in case of leave.
- Conduct timely, documented and accurate shift handovers reporting performance KPIs, tasks performed, equipment status and focus items.
- Support maintenance personnel in the delivery of their tasks and equipment reliability.
- Provide timely and accurate permitting and access to maintenance personnel.
- Ensure team members have relevant training, competency and authority prior to undertaking activities.
- Monitor team development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and coaching within the team to ensure required competencies and behaviours.
- Manage team manning levels to deliver operational requirements and instructions by monitoring the attendance, location and activity of team members.
- Build 'team' environment within the shift team of operations personnel including the personnel from teams who give support to earthworks
- Conduct regular performance feedback with team members to promote areas for improvement and follow up.
- Track and report continuous improvement activities to deliver improved operational performance.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.