At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
The Electrician is responsible for inspection, maintenance and improved performance of all low voltage, medium voltage and high voltage electrical systems and associated control equipment, including variable speed drives, switchgear, transformers, motor control centers and cables.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- Technical or technological college-level degree, recognized by JTIA at electrical technician level is mandatory.
- 3 years of experience in industrial, distribution, and/or generation electrical systems.
- Practical experience with National Regulations (NFPA 70) and best industry practices including NEC, IEEE, and NFPA70E standards.
- Experience in large AC Drive System
- Experience in switchgear, medium voltage VSD, and gearless drives will be an advantage.
- Experience with electrical shovels, Electric rotary drills, Electric drive trucks, and electric drive wheel loaders highly regarded.
- Experience with movable transformer skids and trailing cables electric shoves/drills.
- Knowledge of the programming of logic controllers, protection relays, VSD’s and Circuit Breaker relays will be an advantage
- Ability to read and interpret engineering prints.
- Basic knowledge of tool geometry and application
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Identify, eliminate, mitigate and/or control any electrical safety condition.
- Use electrically safe work Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and best industry practices.
- Use industry best practices for Lock Out Tag Out safe procedures;
- Read and understand electrical drawings, schematics, single line diagrams, and any other vendor-supplied technical information, included but not limited to installation, operation and maintenance manuals.
- Assist and/or conduct activities such as troubleshoot electric-drive machinery, including transformers, power inverters, motors, capacitors, voltage regulators, medium voltage switches, and supporting hardware.
- Install, maintain and repair electrical components relating including transformers, power inverters, motors, capacitors, voltage regulators, medium voltage switches, and supporting hardware
- Operate various components on the medium and high voltage distribution electrical system including isolation switches, transformers, variable speed drives, switchgear, and motor control centres.
- Use personal protective gear such as hot sticks, arc flash resistant apparel, respiratory protection, and places or erects clearance tags, barricades, warning signs, and devices to protect others from electrical hazards such as arc flash.
- Operate a variety of testing, calibration, and repair devices, tools and equipment including voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, insulation resistance testers, high potential test sets, circuit breaker testers, etc.
- Prepare detailed estimates including labor and materials, and prepares lists of materials for improvement projects.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records and paperwork regarding work performed.
- Communicate work order revisions, material delays, or other problems to supervisor and await further instruction.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.