At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose (brief description of this job)
Reporting into Supervisor Control & Instrumentation (C&I), the Foreman Instrumentation is accountable for supporting, leading and coaching the Instrumentation team and Maintenance phases. They will provide technical leadership while creating a strong quality driven integrity guaranteeing fully compliance with regulations and best engineering practices.
Qualifications (required for job) & Knowledge & Experience
- BSc/BEng degree in an engineering discipline or related Trade Certificate.
- 5 + related experience in the mining environment.
- Knowledge of the OHS Act, Radiation Protection and/or weights and measures will be beneficial.
- Significant experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant.
- Experience with Siemens PCS7 will be advantageous.
- Excellent leadership, motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to identify, analyse and understand equipment requirements.
- Strong understanding of maintenance process improvement and control strategies.
- Specialist knowledge of Instrumentation in mining environments.
- Sound knowledge of Supervision, asset care, optimization and hazard control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to provide clear and accurate operational directions to team.
- Knowledge of Profibus DP, PA and other fieldbus networks a prerequisite.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Provide technical and supervisory support for the C&I maintenance personnel on a daily basis to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
- Ensure employees work in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Manage and coordinate daily corrective actions.
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all designated work areas.
- Supervise and guide the team while actively constructing, commissioning and improving the installations.
- Work as a consultant specialist supervisor providing superior technical knowledge to the Instrumentation technicians to ensure tasks are executed and completed in a safe and timely manner, and to the optimum level of quality expected.
- Use superior fault finding analytics to ensure reduce reaction and downtime for optimum production.
- Ensure that scheduled requirements are communicated, committed to and achieved using good engineering practices.
- Determine priority works and resource requirements within planned and unplanned tasks.
- Inspect applicable installations as well as supplying QA/QC on all work completed.
- Ensures operational expectations are met through equipment availability.
- Create and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Support the development of technicians through formal and informal training, coaching and mentoring.
- Confirm quality execution are in the fore front of every task performed by the team.
- Ensure standardized work take place across the electrical and instrumentation fields.
- Monitor and report on the performance of equipment to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Assist and/or carry out logistical activities, such as transportation and/or driving of vehicles, personnel, materials, equipment and supplies to and from work areas, camps and other company facilities, as required by the supervisor.
- Provide clear work objectives and expectations of the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production goals.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things.
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.