At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Reporting into the Coordinator , the Supervisor will lead the team working with mechanical maintenance at dry plant including, but not limited to, the primary crushers and associated equipment, providing technical data and information as required and ensuring operational requirements and expectations are met.
Qualifications & Knowledge & Experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering and/or related Trade Certificate.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a maintenance role; 2 years of which should be in Supervisory capacity.
- Strong leadership, motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills to identify and understand efficiencies to recommend and implement improvements and changes to maximize operations.
- Strong understanding of maintenance process improvement and control strategies.
- Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants.
- Knowledge and proficiency with JDEdwards or other enterprise systems.
- Fluency in English and Spanish highly regarded.
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
- Ensure work is undertaken in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Assist to create and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Supervise and participate in the execution of equipment maintenance plans in the Process Plant.
- Ensure all preventive and predictive maintenance plans are planned and scheduled via a computerized maintenance management system.
- Ensure update of the database for maintenance activities of all work performed.
- Provide reports on maintenance activities and equipment performance.
- Develop methods, materials, tools and parts so downtime is minimal.
- Monitor and report on component wear and tear.
- Provide technical and supervisory support to subordinate staff on a daily basis to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Review and report to Superintendent Crushing & Conveying on plant design deficiencies, and equipment performance constantly seek efficiency/operability improvements.
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all areas of responsibility.
- Ensure that shift manning requirements are met.
- Manage a team responsible for maintaining the primary crushers.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring, training and development in an effort to retain and develop the best talent for the organization.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback and coaching to achieve business plans and production goals.
- Identify training opportunities that will provide depth and versatility for employees in the team.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of a solid working relationship with all employees.
- Ensure good communication lines with peer Supervisors and Process Department personnel to ensure equipment operates according to SOP’s and all machinery/equipment is maintained, calibrated and replaced according to supplier recommendation and industry best practice ready to meet demand.
- Evaluate plant performance to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Manage small size improvement projects
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.