At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Under supervision of the Maintenance Shift Supervisor, the professional mechanic is responsible for performing repair of machinery and components at high level of efficiency and quality, performing activities such as assembling, installing, diagnosing and repairing mobile equipment and/or mechanical plants, etc.
The professional mechanic, in addition to the daily operative responsibilities, will carry out supporting activities for the team such as administrative tasks, mentoring less experienced technicians, among others.
- An official qualification from an accredited university or equivalent institutions.
- JTIA certification as a Mechanic Technician, Bachelor of Automotive Mechanics, Mechanical Engineer or equivalent.
- Holder of Panamanian Driving license.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in industrial/diesel/plant mechanical maintenance with skills necessary to meet applicable task proficiency matrix (troubleshooting and repairing hydraulic, electrical and diesel engines with a primary focus on diesel equipment and plants)
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in Spanish is required and proficiency in English will be highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.
- Computer proficiency is desirable with broad focus in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering prints.
- Basic knowledge of tool geometry and application
- Strong knowledge in hydraulics, motors, auto-electric, industrial, plants, and other areas of mechanics in general.
- Operate within and observe all pertinent and applicable laws of Panama.
- Ensure work is undertaken in compliance with H&S, quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Execute daily corrective actions as directed.
- Ensure housekeeping is executed in all designated work areas.
- Provide input for the creation and implementing SOP’s.
- Follow relevant SOPs for work conducted.
- Use industry best practices for Lock Out Tag Out safe procedures (LOTO).
- Carry out an evaluation of parts and materials required to complete the job effectively, when it is necessary to order additional items through the Foreman/Supervisor.
- Carry out scheduled planned installation and maintenance work on mechanical equipment in compliance with company procedures in order to minimize project delays.
- Carry out the installations, refurbishment and commissioning of mechanical plant to specification and on time.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings of various plant to ensure correct tolerance and fits are maintained for efficient plant operation.
- Inspect, repair, install and test mechanical equipment in order to ensure that relevant specifications/requirements are met.
- Carry out an assessment of spares and materials required to complete work effectively, where necessary ordering additional items via the Foreman/ Supervisor.
- Perform general mechanical duties after applicable training and assessment of competency, including but not limited to: scaffold erection; rigging; machining of less complex mechanical parts; and operation of hoists, man lifts, cranes, fork lifts and light vehicles.
- Undertake nominated training activities to maintain and up-skill required competencies.
- Control, report and reduce operational costs, and ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions.
- Assist and/or carry out logistical activities, such as transportation and/or driving of vehicles, personnel, materials, equipment and supplies to and from work areas, camps and other company facilities, as required by the supervisor
- Communicate work order revisions, material delays, or other problems to supervisor and await further instruction.
- Assist with ongoing training and mentoring of apprentices and trainees and supervising of contractors.
- Ensuring the activities of maintenance personnel are consistently aligned with meeting operational targets
- Assisting in the development, implementation, and monitoring of adherence to relevant new maintenance procedures, processes, and technology to ensure the safe and efficient operation of assets by providing input based on previous experiences
- Maintain and take care of company tools, vehicles and equipment.
- Keep records to ensure that they are satisfactory for internal audits.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Rosters and working hours may vary depending on business requirements.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.