At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
General Role Purpose
As a Graduate Engineer, you will embark on a comprehensive rotational journey through various process plant sections, including crushing, milling, copper and moly flotation, services and more. You will work alongside experienced professionals, develop key skills, and contribute to the growth and success of our organization. This approach will provide you with a well-rounded understanding of the metallurgical field and the broader operations of our organization.
The Graduate Engineer will play a pivotal role in supporting the effective technical operation of our plant. Your primary responsibilities will encompass a wide range of tasks, all aimed at enhancing your understanding of metallurgical processes, problem-solving skills, and the ability to innovate. Key elements of your role include:
- Technical Operations Support: You will actively engage in the technical operations of our plant, collaborating with experienced professionals to learn and contribute to ongoing processes. This includes monitoring and assisting in the operation of various sections and applying your technical knowledge to ensure efficient outputs.
- Interdepartmental Collaboration: Effective communication and teamwork are fundamental to your role. You will interact with various departments and teams as necessary, working together to achieve common goals and address challenges. Your ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders is vital to your success.
Qualifications & Knowledge & Experience
- A Tertiary Qualification in Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering or related field
- A strong commitment to FQML’s culture of safety and ability to follow relevant policies & procedures
- Minimum of 1 year of safe working experience in an industrial setting, ideally in base metal concentrating
- Excellent teamwork skills and the desire to learn and growth as a future metallurgical engineer
- Demonstrate drive, ambition, and a passion for challenging work in our operations.
- Fluency in Spanish as well as intermediate English communication skills are required
- Computer fluency is essential especially with MS Office. Data analysis and visualization software (MS Excel, Power BI, Minitab, etc.) is highly regarded.
- Essential analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills are preferable
- Strong time-management, reporting and presentation skills with the ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Understanding of metallurgical information, process improvement and control strategies for large-scale mineral processing plants, is highly preferable
Core Specific Responsibilities & Expected Deliverables
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the area of operation.
- Collaborate with senior engineers and department heads to learn, develop and implement process improvements, ultimately optimizing product quality and operational efficiency.
- Directly participate in the daily, weekly and monthly work activities of the Process Plant Technical area, serving as metallurgical collaborator to facilitate improvement.
- Provide regular updates and reports on the progress of process improvement initiatives, sharing insights and results with the broader team in alignment with the development and training program's objectives
- Participate on surveys, industrial trials and metallurgical test-work as required to optimize performance
- Executes on projects tasks and supports operational teams through routine interactions.
- Supports the implementation of SOP’s.
- Contribute ideas and solutions that result in measurable process improvements and technical enhancements within the plant.
- Support the effective technical operation of a plant and engage with relevant departments as necessary, amongst other things.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Bolder: Flexible, versatile, and prepared to take on challenges as needed.
- Smarter: always looks for efficiencies and better ways of doing things
- Driven: Sets high standards, is motivated and determined.
- Together: communicates well with peers and understand others views.
This exciting position is based on-site and will be focusing on driving and delivering operational accountability and ownership across various units at Cobre Panama site. Working hours may vary depending on business requirements and roster for this role is 14 days IN and 7 days OFF. The person must be flexible and willing to work in a shift roster, including both day and night shifts if required.
- Comply with current environmental regulations in Panama
- Comply with the commitments contained in the Environmental Impact Studies and other additional studies in this regard, which apply to your area and activities.
- Comply with the provisions of the Minera Panama Environmental Management System.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.